Friday, September 9, 2011

Don't Be Afraid of the Mall this Fall by Lauri Bonnell

Thanks to Jennifer for letting me do a guest blog post this week! I'm really excited, but I have to say right off the top that I don't really consider myself a “fashionista.” I read one definition of fashionista that said: “one who has a penchant for shopping (okay, that's me) and natural flair for combining current and vintage fashion trends” (that part is so not me). I'm your typical mall shopper. Give me Gap, Banana Republic, or the Limited over a boutique store any day.

It's not that I don't want to shop at those cute little boutiques, it's just that as a stay-at-home mom of two preschoolers, I just find shopping at the mall stores to be faster, easier, and cheaper. And once you know how they operate (sales cycles, coupons, etc.) you can really work the system to get the best deal. But that's not to say you can't be fashionable when shopping at the mall because you definitely can.

Here's my latest example; I just got this adorable ruffle skirt from Banana Republic:

It was originally $49.50, but it was already on sale and then discounted another 25% making it only $20! Woot woot! This skirt is great addition to any wardrobe because it's cute and comfortable, the nautical theme is classic, and the blue and white stripes basically act like a neutral. You can pair it with just about any color to really spice it up – red, coral, mustard yellow. The possibilities are endless.

Also, while at Marketplace Mall I discovered a great new store. Charming Charlie is a “fashion accessory boutique” located in the Bon Ton Wing, although it also has its own exterior entrance. I like to shop at Eastview Mall a lot so I hadn't heard of this store yet, but it is definitely worth checking out. It was full of adorable purses, accessories, and tons of jewelry all for very cheap. I'm talking about beautiful necklaces and earrings for between $10-$50! They also have a nice selection of clothes and shoes, which were also very cute, but not quite as inexpensive as the rest. I wanted to buy myself a necklace, but I actually had such a hard time deciding which piece was the best one to buy that I walked out with nothing! I don't think that's ever happened to me before! Check out this article for photos: http://henrietta.whec.com/news/news/charming-charlie-opens-marketplace-mall/54022

So don't be afraid to shop at the mall – and on the (gasp!) sale rack. You never know what kind of treasures you'll uncover.

Lauri Bonnell is a freelance writer and lives in Brighton, NY. She's a contributor to the MomsLikeMe Blog on HerRochester.com and writes the Brighton Blog for the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...